Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Crispy Oven Wedges with a Kick

When I saw these potatoes at the grocery store I knew I had to make some wedges with them.  They were the perfect shape, all I had to do what quarter them lengthwise into wedges.  I have been trying out different recipes for potato wedges and thought I would try something new with these ones.  I think I have finally figured out how to make crispy oven fries.  I just had to boil them for a few minutes first and cook them at a high temperature.  After cutting them I put them in a deep frying pan and covered them with water and then boiled them for about 5 minutes.  Then I drained them and put them back in the pan so that the heat could completely dry them. Once the potatoes were dry I put the oil and seasonings on them while they were still in the pan and shook it around to cover them.  That way the oil was already warmed up when I put them in the oven, which seemed to make a difference.  They turned out really well and I will definitely make them this way again.


Crispy Oven Wedges

4 medium potatoes, cut into wedges
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 clove garlic, crushed
a few lemon wedges, if desired

Preheat oven to 475F.  Place the potato wedges in a pan and cover with water.  Bring to a boil and continue to boil for about 5 minutes.  The potatoes should be just starting to get tender.  Drain the potatoes well and add back to pan.  Let sit for a minute or two so that any water left on them evaporates.  Toss with the olive oil, garlic, and spices and transfer to a large baking sheet.  Add the lemon wedges to the pan, if desired.  Bake for 15-20 minutes, flipping half way through.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!