Friday, August 30, 2013

Curried Carrot Soup

I have been making this soup for years.  The first time I made it was while I was a broke college student.  It was about midnight and I wanted something healthy to eat while I stayed up all night writing a report that was due the next day (I am a huge procrastinator) so I started flipping through my cookbooks to find something I could make.  I came across a recipe for curried carrot soup and I was surprised that I actually had all the ingredients and could make it.  Luckily, I always made sure I had carrots, onion, and potatoes in my fridge...they are a good base for many soups.  I only had to change one thing, the original recipe calls for evaporated milk but I only had 2% so I used that.  Since then I have made the soup with both types of milk many times, but I believe it's better with the 2%, the consistency is a little smoother and the curry flavour is more pronounced.  This soup has been made for many of my family members and friends and everyone always loves it.  I love making it for potlucks too because it's so easy and inexpensive.  
(The original recipe comes from Pot Luck by Mabel Hoffman.)

Curried Carrot Soup

8 carrots, peeled and thickly sliced
1 potato, peeled and cut into cubes
1 small onion, chopped
1 tbsp. curry powder
2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth to make this vegetarian)
salt and pepper
1 cup milk 

Add all of the ingredients except for the milk to a large pot set over medium heat.  Bring to a boil.  Cover and simmer for 30 minutes over low heat, until vegetables are tender.
Use a hand (submersion) blender to puree the vegetables in the pot.  Stir in the milk and heat through. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!